Can RBS50Y Outdoor Satellite Be Used as Orbi WiFi Extender?
Looking to extend the existing signal range outside the home? Installing a WiFi range extender is the best choice in such a case. If you own a Netgear Orbi mesh system, then you can use Orbi outdoor satellite as a WiFi extender. Yes! Orbi outdoor satellite model RBS50Y can be used as a WiFi range extender. RBS50Y Orbi WiFi extender is compatible with most Orbi router models. When connected with the Orbi router, RBS50Y works as an extender that widens the range outdoors. This page will help you learn how you can connect the satellite to the Orbi router to make it work as an extender.
How to Sync Orbi WiFi Extender with Orbi Router?
You can sync the Orbi WiFi extender or the Orbi satellite with the router using the Sync button located on it. You also have the option of syncing them using the web interface. Read further sections to learn the steps for the same:
Sync Orbi RBS50Y Using Sync Button
- Place the Orbi outdoor satellite RBS50Y near the Orbi router.
- Ensure that the router is powered up.
- Plug it into a power socket.
- Press the Power button on the satellite.
- The Power LED will blink in white color. Wait till it becomes solid white. This means the satellite is ready to be synced to the router.
- Locate the Sync button on the satellite now.
- Upon locating the button, press it gently.
- Within two minutes, press the Sync button located on the Netgear Orbi router.
- Wait for some time. The bottom light will be On while the satellite is trying to connect to the router.
- Orbi WiFi extender or satellite takes about 6 minutes to connect to the router.
After the Netgear Orbi WiFi extender outdoor satellite is synced, you can relocate the satellite outdoors to extend the router’s signals.
Sync Orbi RBS50Y Using Web Interface
In this process, you will sync the devcies by accessing the Orbi web inteface via orbilogin.com or the IP address.
- Begin by placing the Orbi RBS50Y outdoor satellite or Orbi WiFi extender next to the Orbi router during the connection process.
- Run a browser on a computer that’s connected to the Orbi’s network.
- Type orbilogin.com in the address field to reach the login page. You can also use the IP address if the URL does not work.
- Using the admin credentials, log in to the web interface of the Orbi mesh system.
- Select Add Orbi Satellite on the Basic Home page that opens up.
- The instructions on the page will help you place your Orbi satellite. Move it accordingly and plug it into a working power outlet.
- Click Next and let the bottom LED of the RBS50Y turn solid white which is an indication of ready-to-sync satellite.
- Now, push the button labeled Sync on the satellite.
- In the web interface, you will see the Sync button. Press it by clicking on it.
- Wait till the devices are synced.
- The LED status will help you know whether the devices are synced or not.
- The bottom LED will turn into one of the following colors:
Blue: If the satellite and router are synced successfully, the LED should turn blue.
Magenta: The devices are not connected. The synced failed. You should try to sync them once again by placing them a little close.
Amber: Orbi RBS0Y satellite is connected to the router, however, the connection is not very good. You should place them closer and sync them again using the same process.
NOTE: The bottom light will remain in any of the above given colors for about 3 minutes. After that, it turns off.
The Orbi outdoor satellite is ready to extend the Orbi router’s WiFi signals outdoors.
The Final Note
So, you now know that the Orbi RBS50Y outdoor satellite can be used as an Orbi WiFi extender. You should connect it with any Orbi router to extend the signals outdoors and widen the network coverage. After you relocate the Orbi satellite outdoors, you should keep in mind that it still sits within the range of the router so that it keeps getting its input signals. You can connect to the satellite’s WiFi now without any hassle.