My Orbi Logs Show Multiple DoS Attacks and WiFi Drops. Help!
A DoS or Denial of Service attack is a malicious attempt to prevent an individual from using services offered by a particular device. One of its major symptoms is the shutting down of the machine due to which the user is unable to access it. On some occasions, a DoS attack floods the target server with extreme traffic resulting in unexpected network crashes. All in all, a DoS attack hinders the legitimate user of the service from making the most of it. These attacks can be more harmful when occur while reaping the benefits of incredible features housed by an Orbi mesh system. It has been found that 3 out of 5 Netgear users are experiencing these kinds of attacks. As per the reports, when they access Orbi logs after completing the login process, all they come across is the list of repetitive DoS attacks.
Are you also seeing the same kind of list while managing Orbi WiFi logs? If yes, then attention! Your Orbi network is at risk. Perhaps, WiFi bandits out there are causing mischief and trying to hack the network. It might be happening due to weak security. Therefore, you are advised to strengthen the security of your Orbi mesh network. But, wait! There is a possibility that someone has already broken into your network. To rule them out at once, consider resetting the router to the default settings first.
Resetting the Orbi mesh system to the default factory settings will wipe out every personalized setting. Therefore, if you want your network to possess the same settings, consider writing them down somewhere. Once done, proceed to reset your mesh network.
How to Reset Network to Fix Orbi Logs DoS Attacks?
Although resetting the network will erase customized settings, it will also help you get rid of multiple DoS attacks that are affecting the performance of your Orbi system. You are suggested to follow these steps to reset the Orbi device. For your information, the steps given below are applicable to routers as well as satellites.
- Ensure that no WiFi client is connected to your Orbi device.
- Once confirmed, check all sides of the device to find the “RESET” button.
- Meanwhile, get your hands on a sharp object. Let us say, a paper clip or a pin.
- Press the “RESET” button and hold it for “15 SECONDS”.
- The device will start blinking AMBER.
- Your Orbi has been reset.
Now, you can reconfigure your Orbi mesh and customize its settings including Orbilogin user name and password to prevent DoS attacks. The next section of the post is packed with loads of information regarding how to make your mesh system ready to brave those attacks.
How to Prevent Orbi DoS Attacks?
1. Update the Firmware
The first thing you are required to do after reconfiguring the mesh WiFi system is to update the firmware. Updating the firmware improves the security of your mesh system by adding new security features. You can update the Orbi router and satellite firmware either through the Orbi mobile application or via the web-based management panel. Mentioned below are the steps that will provide you with the highlights of the process of updating the Orbi firmware:
- Access orbilogin.net or orbilogin.com on a computer connected to your Orbi network.
- Log in to the router using the default credentials (if not customized).
- Once done, expand the Advanced Settings tab by clicking it.
- Select Administration > Firmware Update.
- Update the device (router or satellite) that needs a firmware update.
- Let the process get completed.
2. Change the WiFi Password
Changing the WiFi password along with the SSID or the Orbi router is one of the most important steps that you can take to prevent the number of Orbi DoS attacks on Orbi logs. This practice must be followed after every 3 months and here are the steps that will help you achieve success with the process:
- Complete the Netgear Orbi login process first.
- Once you reach the BASIC Home page, choose Wireless.
- Type the new SSID for your router into the “NAME’ field.
- Thereafter, assign a new WiFi password by entering the desired value into the “PASSWORD” field.
- Select “APPLY”.
- New settings will come into effect.
Witnessing a hoard of DoS attacks on the Netgear Orbi logs list is a common thing. We hope that after resetting your mesh network and tweaking its few settings, you will be able to change the fate of your home WiFi.
In case you still want to improve the home network security, update the admin password too, and change the Security Standard of your router. Apart from this, purchase a Netgear Armor Subscription to prevent security threats.